Autism Society of Broward County
ASB’s full range of family support, children’s programming, public outreach and autism awareness campaigns are available to all interested in the betterment of life for not only individuals and families with autism, but to the community of South Florida as a whole.
We started as the Broward Chapter of the Autism Society of America, founded in 1992. It is dedicated to the education and welfare of children and adults with autism spectrum disorders.
Locally, and currently we are affiliates at the Autism Society of America. The Autism Society of Broward County has had many accomplishments in the areas of advocacy, information and referral, and parent support. ASB has been the impetus to initiate many educational programs for autistic students in Broward County. We have been involved in the advisory process of initiating programs on the preschool and elementary level, the Program for Autistic Secondary Students (PASS) in 1995, and a middle school program in 1996. We continue to work with the school system to dispense information and support through ACE, an autism subcommittee of Exceptional Student Education.
Family and Community Support Services
- Monthly Meetings with Guest Speakers specializing in the area of Autism
- Monthly Parent Support Groups: SPEC and SPEC-North and our “Let’s talk about Behaviors” supports group
- Adult Services Work Group
- Co-creating Leadership – Ambassador’s Program
- Financial subsidizing of special programs in ice skating, horse back riding and gymnastics
- Scholarships for summer camp programs
Education and the Community
- Autism Awareness Campaigning
- Actively participate in research based organizations such as the National Alliance of Autism Research (NAAR)
- Legislation Advocacy
- Support of organizations such as the Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD), YMCA, Family Network on Disabilities (parent advocacy) and Easter Seals
- Conduct Community Presentations:
- Early Intervention Training for Pediatricians
- Law Enforcement and the Autistic Person
- Co-Sponsorship in many local Autism Conferences and ESE Parent Trainings
- Maintain active collaboration with local public and private schools to educate in autism
Family Activities and Events, building community such as:
Golf for Autism – Golf Clinic for Children in Middle and High School. Chaired by an ASB Board Member.
Melody of Life- Lunch in celebration of Moms, regular and Holiday edition. Chaired by an ASB Board Member and supported by “Ladies Ambassadors”, moms and leaders in the Community.
Swim and Safety Events. Activity to teach our kids how to swim and be safe. Chaired by an ASB Board Member.
Yoga for our Kids. Activity offered by a partnering organization – Relationships Children Center, owner Maria Lina Moyano.
Mr. Ocean’s Friends – Offering a loving space to share with other families in a nature type environment. Initiative chaired by Autism Society of Broward Ambassadors.
Our Kids Our Music – Raising Awareness Event. Initiative chaired by Autism Society of Broward Ambassadors.
Full Moon GALA – Rasing Awareness and Funds for our Autism Society of Broward to support activities and events for our families and kids. Chaired by a Board Member and supported by “Ladies Ambassadors”, moms and leaders in the community.